Mandatory Criteria for Individual Artist
The following criteria will be used to assess individual professional artists’ eligibility to access art spaces in The Orange Hub at the Professional Artist Rate. Arts Habitat Edmonton will administer the application process including reviewing and approving applicant submissions. These criteria have been approved by City Council and aligned with funders and artist support organizations across Canada.
A professional artist is an individual who has trained, has received professional recognition, or been compensated through their work. You must meet a minimum of one of the following three criteria. If more than one applies, please answer those questions as well.
- Training - Has received professional training, either in an educational institution or from a practitioner or teacher recognized within their profession, OR is in the process of becoming an artist according to the practice of the artistic community in their respective discipline. Methods of non-traditional training, as well as apprenticeship/internship, would also be considered.
- Peer Recognition - Has received public or peer recognition in the form of honours, awards, professional prizes, or by publicly disseminated critical approval.
- Compensation - Receives or has received compensation for their work, including but not limited to sales, fees, commissions, royalties, residuals, grants and awards, any of which may reasonably be included as professional or business income.
Supporting Criteria for Individual Artist
Professional artists must meet at least one of these three criteria.
- Presentation - Has presented their work to the public by means of exhibitions, publications, performances, readings, screenings, digital media channels, or by any other means appropriate to the nature of their work
- Promotion - Devotes a reasonable proportion of their professional time as an artist to promoting or marketing their work, including but not limited to, presenting themselves for auditions, seeking sponsorship, agent or engagements, or similar activities appropriate to the nature of their work.
- Association - Has membership in a professional association appropriate to their artistic activity whose membership or categories of membership are limited under standards established by the association; or which is a trade union or its equivalent appropriate to their artistic ability.
Criteria for Professional Arts Organization
In order to qualify, the applicant should meet the following criteria:
- The work and goals of the organization must actively support artistic practice in their discipline(s).
- The organization must pay the majority of their artists at professional fee standards.
- The organization must employ at least one paid administrative staff (even if this person is part-time, seasonal, or contracted).
- The organization must be a registered not-for-profit organization in good standing with AB registries.
- The organization must have some kind of accreditation or membership in a professional association appropriate to their artistic activity whose membership or categories of membership are limited under standards established by the association; or which is a trade union or its equivalent appropriate to their artistic endeavours and purpose.
Should you have any questions or need more clarification on the Professional Artists' Eligibility at The Orange Hub, please do not hesitate to contact Arts Habitat at 780-474-0907 or by email at email@example.com
- The attached forms will be used by Arts Habitat to determine the eligibility for the Professional Artist Rate at The Orange Hub.
- The Professional Artist Rate is ONLY applicable for space within The Orange Hub.
- Applying for space available space at The Orange Hub is a separate process from applying for the Professional Artist Rate and is administered by The Orange Hub staff. Please direct all questions about the availability of space to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Available space is not guaranteed for qualifying professional artists and arts organizations.
- We reserve the right to review and revise the professional qualification criteria as necessary.
- The information on this application is being collected under the authority of Section 33 of the FOIP Act and will be used by Arts Habitat Edmonton to determine eligibility for the Professional Artist Rate and for purposes of administering the same.